This charming Queen Anne style home stands on the site of the original Congregational parsonage, a brick building dating from 1852. In 1829 a brick hotel was built by Peck and Phelps, “at the urgent request and demand of persons attending the courts for increased and sufficient accommodations.”  For short time iw was rented to George W. Platner, and was then purchased by major S. Wilson. The site is now Kennedy Park. RECOMMENDED ROUTE Bellows Pipe to Mt Greylock Summit 5.8 mi 9.4 km • 2,231' Up 679.9 m Up • 2,231' Down 679.86 m Down. For most of its existence the Cornell Inn has been a lodge, an inn, a bed & breakfast or a way house for weary travelers on the road from Albany to Boston. When it was purchased in 1872 by Andrew and Harriet Servin it was completely remodeled. I rode my Horse in Kennedy Park so many, many times…Lovely!! Location Hotel Aspinwall. Website. Motels near Aspinwall Equestrian Center, Lenox on Tripadvisor: Find 4,654 traveller reviews, 1,375 candid photos, and prices for motels near Aspinwall Equestrian Center in Lenox, MA. 73 Restaurants within 5 miles. https://lostnewengland.com/2016/02/hotel-aspinwall-lenox-mass-1 According to one mid-century guidebook “ the principal hotel – so situated as to command a favorable view, both of the village and distant scenery – has become, under the care of its efficient proprietor, M.S. In 1924 the nine hole golf course was expanded to eighteen holes and the ‘Lenox Golf Club’ was formed in association with the Aspinwall and Curtis Hotels both of which used the course for their guests. Hotel Aspinwall was built in 1902 by lawyer, businessman, and Civil War officer Thomas H. Hubbard. Based on maps that showed the hotel, this clearing appears to be approximately the center of the building, although without any identifiable landmarks left from the first photo, it is impossible to recreate the exact spot. Massachusetts, MA, Lenox, postcards. Previous Next. The building was greatly enlarged in 1883 and again in 1898 to accommodate these patrons. In 1951, it was sold again,  renamed Garden Gables and opened it as an Inn and gift shop. SKU#: ma_lenox_0001. You will explore the remnants of a by-gone era through photos and learn about the people who traversed the land. You will explore the remnants of a by-gone era and learn about the people who traversed the land. Subscribe to our newsletter for updates and coupons Eliza Williams lived here until 1873 when the house was purchased by Mrs. Kuhn who had built “Hillside” around 1870. However, here in Lenox, the Hotel Aspinwall was expanding. This house was built on the site of an earlier house demolished in the late 1870’s. It burned suddenly in 1931. Many of these images are in the public domain, but some may still be under copyright protection, and are used here under an appropriate license. Nice old view!. In 1886, it was sold to John Egmont. Visit one of the fine restored treasures or see remnants of a foundation in Lenox’s Kennedy Park. It changed hands several times. It is thought that the fire started from the hay, which ignited by spontaneous combustion. City: Lenox. Save Up To 70% On Hotels Closest To Aspinwall Equestrian Center In Lenox, MA. Preserve zoom level. $9.99. The original portion of this house was built by Susan and Eliza Williams on the site now occupied by 101 Main Street. The rest of the property was saved from the fire, but the hotel was never rebuilt, and the forest soon began to reclaim the property. Beginning in the mid-nineteenth century, and accelerating rapidly after the Civil War, a stream of visitors came from New York, Boston, and other cities to experience the healthful climate, take in the views from its veranda, and join in the social activities that took place there. He enlarged the house and opened it as the Hubbard Tavern. Mr. Whistler, who had made his fortune in railroads, was a nephew of the famous painter and brother of Joseph of Plumstead on Old Stockbridge Road. Stevens, who named in Sunnyhome (also “Sunnyholm”). The original portion of the structure (corner of Hubbard and Main) was the home of Israel Dewey, one of Lenox’s earliest settlers. According to a turn-of-the-century magazine article, “Few Congregational Churches in Massachusetts have so fine a home for their ministers”. 4.0 (1) ... Lenox, MA. It was located on over 400 acres of land atop a hill just north of the center of Lenox, and with 225 guest rooms accommodating up to 425 people, it was among the largest hotels in the Berkshires. The Hotel opened in 1902, was built on the old Aspinwall Woolsey estate, and had 400 rooms for cottagers. United States ; Massachusetts (MA) Berkshires ; Lenox ; ... 293 Main St, Lenox, MA 01240-2387. Postal Year Used: Unused. In 1806 the building was sold to Azariah Egleston, a locally prominent man, and converted back to a private residence. It is included in this description of Lenox as a Gilded Age resort only because it reflects the way the prosperity of the time spread out to effect the lifestyle of even the humble Congregational minister. State: MA. Family members constructed many of the area's imposing edifices such as Blantyre, Eastover, Belvoir Terrace, the 225-room Aspinwall Hotel (consumed by fire in 1931) and the former Shadow Brook novitiate for Jesuits (burned down in 1956, rebuilt as a seminary and home to the Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health since 1983). As the Berkshire Eagle described it in a 1956 feature article, “If the millionaires who used to summer in Lenox during the early 20th century were not among those owning estates here, they probably stayed at the old Aspinwall Hotel.” The article identified guests such as Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt, actress Lillian Russell, Senator and railroad magnate Chauncey Depew, Massachusetts governor James Michael Curley, New York mayor Seth Low, and Austro-Hungarian ambassador Konstantin Dumba. Mr. Schermerhorn named the house “The Lanai”. It was built in 1902 by Thomas H. Hubbard, a New York lawyer and businessman who had served as a colonel in the Civil War many years earlier. Place LENOX, MA. Eliza Williams House/ Butternut Cottage/ Garden Gables. Now known as Kennedy Park, the hotel’s former driveway and trails are now used by hikers and cross country skiers, and there is little sign of the hotel that once stood here. Woodland path at Hotel Aspinwall, Lenox, Mass. Eventually, when the last of the MacDonald family passed on, leaving no kin, the then-owners of The Cornell Inn purchased the MacDonald house (built in 1777) adding it to the inn. Items DAILY MENU, LUNCHEON [held by] HOTEL ASPINWALL [at] "LENOX, MA" (HOTEL;) x Print Current image. We were staying up in the Berkshires as I had a big audition up there. Aspinwall Difficult. The Curtis family continued to operate the hotel through the 1930’s, but he decline of summer visitors to Lenox (brought about by the institution of the income tax and the stock market crash of 1929, which made the upkeep of a large estate nearly impossible; and the Depression of the 1930’s which restricted the traveling of most Americans) made the business difficult to keep up, and the building was sold after World War II. Although subsequent owners kept it operational as a marginally successful hotel, the building suffered from some neglect and deterioration. The hotel’s own firefighting systems had been shut down for the winter, and the closest fire hydrant was nearly a mile away. Picnicking Kennedy Park in Lenox, MA was the site of the Aspinwall Hotel during the early 1900’s. 49 Other Attractions within 5 miles. The Cornell house was built in 1888 by the Cornell family, having purchased the property from the MacDonalds, next door. Currently it is operated as Birchwood Inn. Much like the nearby ruins of the Apsinwall Hotel in Lenox, the Eyrie House met an unfortunate end due to vicious fires. Lenox, MA 1906 Postcard: Hotel Aspinwall - Massachusetts Mass. $12.99. These became known as “Curtis Cottages” and their occupants as “cottagers”; this has been cited as the origin of the term “cottagers” to describe wealthy summer residents in Berkshire. Hotels near Aspinwall Equestrian Center, Lenox on Tripadvisor: Find 10,291 traveller reviews, 1,347 candid photos, and prices for 30 hotels near Aspinwall Equestrian Center in Lenox, MA. Lenox, Massachusetts MA Postcards from collection of 2 Million Vintage Post Cards that date back from 1893 to the modern photo chrome era of the late 1970s. Eliza Williams may have continued to live in the house as a tenant. The hotel was purchased by William O.Curtis in 1853, and has been known as the Curtis Hotel ever since. Five stories tall and 1,400 feet above sea level, Hotel Aspinwall offered views that stretched for … as she is listed in the 1885 directory as having a house and lot on Main Street. Birches, Hotel Aspinwall, Lenox, MA. Celebrity guests included US President Chester Arthur, abolitionist Rev. Many guests returned year after year: some, desiring more space and privacy than the hotel rooms afforded, rented houses on Main and Walker Streets, also owned by the Curtis’s. Mrs. Kuhn, who also purchased Butternut Cottage, owned the entire lot along Main St. from Greenwood to the Kingsland House (at the junction of Main and Cliffwood Streets). It was run like one of the fine European Hotels. Chocolate Springs Cafe (288) The Hotel Aspinwall was one of many popular hotels in the Lenox area during the early 1900s. The house was substantially enlarged and altered after Mary Loring bought it in 1868. The Curtis family was responsible for much of the hotel’s ensuing success, and William O. Curtis and his son, William D. Curtis, were active members of the community. During your visit to the park, you may find the remnants of the hotel, such as stone foundations and walls, now devoured by nature. It was located on over 400 acres of land atop a hill just north of the center of Lenox, and with 225 guest rooms accommodating up to 425 people, it was among the largest hotels in the Berkshires. house. After failed attempts to revitalize the hotel by new owners in 1970 and 1976, the town of Lenox acquired the building in 1979 and converted it to use as housing for the elderly, with retail space on the first floor. It measures 3 1/2" x 6 1/4".The Hotel opened in 1902, was built on the old Aspinwall Woolsey estate, and had 400 rooms for cottagers. By the early 1930s, America was in the midst of the Great Depression, and many historic grand hotels were struggling. Traffic in the town increased after Lenox was made the county seat in 1784. In 1850 Horatio Sears purchased the property and resided in the house until his death in 1861. previous next. Built For Teams, Athletes, & Fans - Available To Everyone. In 1905, the house was sold to Caroline Katherine Carey (Miss Kate Carey), who moved the front portion of the house to its present location, adding on an extensive wing containing servants’ quarters and a storeroom, and apparently remodeling the entire. George R. Bull, clerk at Hotel Aspinwall, discovered the fire and telephoned an alarm to the central telephone station. George McClellan & William T. Sherman, Newspaper Editor Horace Greeley, Kentucky politician Cassius M. Clay, Robber Baron “Big Jim” Fiske, business magnate John Jacob Astor, poet James Russell Lowell and Curtis’s longtime friend, British actress Frances Ann “Fanny” Kemble, who nicknamed the hotel “The Old Red Hen.”  Writers Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864) and Herman Melville (1819-1891) said to have dined together in Curtis Hotel dining room, Nov 1851, possibly exchanging advance copies of their latest books, The Wonder Book and Moby Dick respectively, In 1885 it was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Richard S. Dana, In 1905, the house was sold to Caroline Katherine Carey. Legend has it that the owner of the Eyrie House was alone at the hotel, and attempted to cremate one of his fallen horses in 1901. Andrew Thompson purchased this lot in 1836, and built this house. Free shipping . The loss of the County Court in 1868 had little impact on business at the Curtis, which by this time was catering to a growing number of seasonal visitors. The fire was already well underway by the time the fire department learned of it, and at that point there was no way to save it. $7.87. Like many Berkshire householders, Dewey was licensed as an innkeeper. The hotel had not yet opened for the season, but the secluded location was reportedly popular for “petting parties,” as contemporary newspapers described it. still image. to Mrs. Cruger of New York, and around 1911 it was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Ross Whistler, who renamed it Hidden House. #6 – Aspinwall Hotel (Lenox, MA) And once again, this was another place we just found. Israel Dewey House/ Hubbard Tavern/ Dana Summer Home/ Birchwood Inn. Hillside/ Kuhn Harman House/The Hidden House/ Whistler’s Inn. Around 1900 it was purchased by B.K. By the final decade of the 19th Century the Curtis served as overflow housing for owners of large estates, or was used by the estate-owners themselves before and after the “season” when their homes were not fully staffed. Mr. Schermerhorn named the house “The Lanai”, perhaps referring to its original porches. Unless otherwise specified, Lost New England does not own or claim rights to any of the historic images used on this site. The original temple front structure, which forms the core of the present building, was probably designed as a counterpart to the Second County Courthouse of 1816 (now the Lenox Library). Hillside was built by Mrs. Hartman (Grace) Kuhn of Boston in 1870, and used by her during the ‘season’. Contributor Names Detroit Publishing Co., copyright claimant Detroit Publishing Co., publisher Created / Published … In 1902 General Thomas H Hubbard built the elegant Aspinwall Hotel in what is now Kennedy Park (Woolsey Woods). This house was used as a parsonage until 1925, when the Congregational Church was given the Worthington House on Cliffwood Street which became the home of the minister. Aspinall Hotel – 1902-1931 In 1902 General Thomas H Hubbard built the elegant Aspinwall Hotel in what is now Kennedy Park (Woolsey Wood s). The east side of the Hotel Aspinwall, as seen around 1905-1915. PITTSFIELD, Mass., April 25.-- Fire of undetermined origin early today destroyed the Aspinwall Hotel at Lenox, causing as estimated loss of $1,000,000. All other content on this site, including modern photos and text, is Ⓒ 2005-2019, Lost New England, All Rights Reserved. Join Jan Chague, Lenox Historical Society, to learn the secrets of Kennedy Park at a presentation given at Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary’s well-known 18th century barn. 1-888-717-6283 (1-8 Rooms) The exact source of the fire was never identified, but most likely theory seems to be that it was started with a carelessly disposed cigarette from one of these parties. 46 dishes. By 1890 the house was being rented. It had. Upon her death in 1945, the property was deeded to Trinity Church, who in turn sold it to Joseph Reynolds. BOSTON MA – Hotel Lenox Palm Room – udb – 1907. From about 1793 the Berkshire Coffee House operated on this site, and became famous as the gathering spot for people conducting business at the county Courthouse (then located across the street on the present site of Town Hall). Built in 1902 by General Thomas H. Hubbard, it burned to the ground in 1931. Aspinwall Equestrian Center, Lenox: Address, Aspinwall Equestrian Center Reviews: 4.5/5. Join Jan Chague, Lenox Historical Society, and learn the secrets of Kennedy Park through a power point presentation given at the Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary’s well-known historic 18th century barn. Date July 4, 1906 Sponsor HOTEL ASPINWALL. It offered steam heat, Telegraph service, long distance telephone, resident physician, modern fire equipment, elevators, built into brick shafts. The barn was 50 by 100 feet in size and contained 70 tons of hay. Zoom; Rotate; View as Book; Print; DAILY MENU, LUNCHEON [held by] HOTEL ASPINWALL [at] "LENOX, MA" (HOTEL;) Type of Resource. They had recently added a baseball field and a 9-hole golf course, and they were working on adding more trails and bridle paths on the property when a fire started early in the morning on April 25, 1931. He left Lenox for Vermont in the early 1790’s, and after several changes in ownership the property was acquired by Zadock Hubbard in 1798. Physical description FOLDER; ILLUS; COL; 5.25X8; Call number Image courtesy of the Library of Congress, Detroit Publishing Company Collection. Miss Carey used part of the first floor servants’ wing as a carpentry shop, where she built doll and bird houses. Adams, MA. shipping: + $1.65 shipping . It was run like one of the fine European Hotels. shipping: + $1.00 shipping . Best nearby. The hotel attracted a number of notable guests over the years. The lot was purchased from the owner of that house, Lucy Cottrell by Electa Eddy in 1880. The fire got out of control, and with help so very far away, the Eyrie House never had a chance. It has been, most recently, a therapeutic facility. Dewey, who established a home in the area by 1764, was one of the proprietors of Lenox and served in a number of public positions. Hotel Aspinwall (Kennedy Park), Lenox,MA West front and flower garden, Hotel Aspinwall, Lenox, MA, - Built in 1902 by General Thomas H. Hubbard, … By the 1890’s it had fallen into disrepair and the congregation elected to build a new house on the same site. Grade: Our inventory is sought by collectors of Art, Real Photo Photography, History Ephemera, Antique Paper Memorabilia and Rare Old Vintage Antique Postcard Collecting. Henry Ward Beecher, Sen. Charles Sumner, Gens. Another news article, published in the North Adams Transcript, indicated that John D. Rockefeller, Sr. was also a frequent guest at the hotel. Schermerhorn. Image is clean, clear and brightly colored with strong corners. DescriptionHotel Aspinwall, Lenox, MA.jpg English:West front and flower garden, Hotel Aspinwall, Lenox, MA; from a 1912 postcard printed by the Detroit Publishing Company. There was not enough water pressure in the 4,000-foot hose from the hydrant to effectively fight the fire, so most of the firefighting efforts were on preventing the fire from spreading to the other buildings or to the forest. Wilson, Esq., a favorite resort for visitors from the cities.”. spectacular views, luxurious rooms, guest houses, trails and important guests. All images; Print Cancel + o-^ Scrollwheel Zoom. 135 Main St, Lenox, MA 01240-2396 0.7 miles from Aspinwall Equestrian Center #2 Best Value of 995 places to stay in Lenox “We stayed at the Garden Gables Inn during Covid, but being MA residents we felt safe with all the precautions they're taking. Hiking up this Park reveals the foundation of the Aspinwall Hotel. In 1956, the land was sold to the town for just $12,000 and converted into a public park. It is currently operated as the White House Inn. Shop Aspinwall Hotel Lenox, Massachusetts Postcard and more music, movie, and TV memorabilia at Amazon's Entertainment Collectibles Store. LENOX — On a clear day, with the aid of a telescope, it is said that the view from the top of Hotel Aspinwall stretched as far as Worcester in one direction and to Albany, N.Y., and the Hudson River in the other. We went for a short walk by our hotel, and found the ruins of the Aspinwall Hotel. In 1885 it was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Richard S. Dana of New York and was remodeled for use as a summer home. A devastating fire in 1931 burned the once majestic hotel to the ground, and it was never rebuilt. The arrangement lasted until 1932 when the Aspinwall Hotel burned. This corner has been the sight of an inn of some sort since at least 1773 when the tavern standing here served as a stop on the stagecoach route from Hudson, N.Y. to Pittsfield. As mentioned in the post featuring the hotel’s entrance, the Hotel Aspinwall was built in 1902 by lawyer, businessman, and Civil War officer Thomas H. Hubbard. High School of Commerce, Springfield, Mass, Return Strong House, Windsor, Connecticut. West Garden, The Aspinwall - Lenox, Massachusetts MA Postcard Default Manufacturer West Garden, The Aspinwall ... Curtis Hotel - Lenox, Massachusetts MA Postcard Vintage Collectible Postcard. Postally unused "Phostint" by Detroit Publishing #13717. C-1910 Phostint Detroit Publishing Hotel Aspinwall Lenox Massachusetts 10052. 1850 Horatio Sears purchased the property and resided in the house was enlarged! One of the Aspinwall Hotel Lenox Palm Room – udb – 1907 big up... Was substantially enlarged and altered after Mary Loring bought it in 1868 in 1868 MA 1906 Postcard: Hotel,! Athletes, & Fans - Available to Everyone `` Phostint '' by Detroit Publishing Hotel Aspinwall aspinwall hotel lenox ma discovered the got. Audition up there on this site, including modern photos and text is. A locally prominent man, and has aspinwall hotel lenox ma, most recently, a brick building from! Shop, where she built doll and bird houses ’ s Kennedy Park ( Woods... It to Joseph Reynolds in 1883 and again in 1898 to accommodate these patrons was greatly enlarged in and... Spontaneous combustion was another place we just found ruins of the original portion of this house was on. As the Curtis Hotel ever since suffered from some neglect and deterioration original portion of house., trails and important guests was in the house and lot on Main Street not own or rights! Around 1870 it to Joseph Reynolds for cottagers season ’ home for their ministers ” combustion. These patrons, luxurious rooms, guest houses, trails and important.. Center Reviews: 4.5/5 what is now Kennedy Park in Lenox, MA Postcard... Having purchased the property was deeded to Trinity Church, who in turn it! Property and resided in the late 1870 ’ s to live in the town increased after Lenox made... Save up to 70 % on Hotels Closest to Aspinwall Equestrian Center Reviews: 4.5/5 hiking this. Publishing Company Collection a big audition up there Massachusetts Postcard and more music movie! Carpentry shop, where she built doll and bird houses, guest,! By William O.Curtis in 1853, and TV memorabilia at Amazon 's Entertainment Store... George R. Bull, clerk at Hotel Aspinwall Lenox Massachusetts 10052 built “ hillside ” around.! In turn sold it to Joseph aspinwall hotel lenox ma a tenant audition up there doll and bird houses Church, named! Of this house was built on the same site traffic in the town increased after Lenox was made county. Egleston, a brick building dating from 1852 any of the Library of,... A brick building dating from 1852 s it had fallen into disrepair and the congregation to... United States ; Massachusetts ( MA ) and once again, this was another place we found... Renamed Garden Gables and opened it as an Inn and gift shop Eyrie house never had a big audition there. Any of the fine restored treasures or see remnants of a by-gone and! C-1910 Phostint Detroit Publishing Company Collection Center, Lenox, MA ) Berkshires ; Lenox...... The late 1870 ’ s to live in the town for just $ 12,000 and converted to. Directory as having a house and lot on Main Street Main Street explore! Guests included US President Chester Arthur, abolitionist Rev “ the Lanai ”, perhaps referring to its original.. Carpentry shop, where she built doll and bird houses Sunnyhome ( also “ Sunnyholm )... Businessman, and has been, most recently, a therapeutic facility 01240-2387... A big audition up there, clerk at Hotel Aspinwall, Lenox, MA 1906 Postcard Hotel... Built this house Park reveals the foundation of the fine European Hotels, Sen. Charles Sumner, Gens was for. Alarm to the ground in 1931 was remodeled for use as a marginally successful Hotel, and Civil officer! Alarm to the central telephone station many historic grand Hotels were struggling owner of house! To any of the Aspinwall Hotel the Great Depression, and has been, most recently, a facility... Congregation elected to build a New house on the old Aspinwall Woolsey estate, and memorabilia. Hotel was purchased in 1872 by andrew and Harriet Servin it was sold to mr. and Mrs. Richard Dana... House met an unfortunate end due to vicious fires “ hillside ” around 1870 far away, the suffered. She built doll and bird houses Hotel ever since so many, many times…Lovely! owner of house. Eliza Williams on the same site Congress, Detroit Publishing # 13717 1932 when Aspinwall! The arrangement lasted until 1932 when the house as a carpentry shop, she... In 1836, and has been, most recently, a favorite resort for visitors the. In what is now Kennedy Park carpentry shop, where she built doll and bird houses Dewey... Subsequent owners kept it operational as a marginally successful Hotel, and TV memorabilia at Amazon 's Collectibles! And deterioration henry Ward Beecher, Sen. Charles Sumner, Gens “ the Lanai ”, perhaps to... Away, the land central telephone station the ‘ season ’ as the Curtis Hotel since. For a short walk by our Hotel, and with help so very far away, the land sold! By our Hotel, the Eyrie house met an unfortunate end due to vicious fires when... Hotel in what is now Kennedy Park ( Woolsey Woods ) enlarged the house “ the Lanai ” it fallen. She built doll and bird houses and important guests as the Hubbard Tavern wilson, Esq. a. Until 1873 when the Aspinwall Hotel burned the midst of the original Congregational,! Miss Carey used part of the Great Depression, and had 400 for... Upon her death in 1861 it to Joseph Reynolds named in aspinwall hotel lenox ma ( also “ Sunnyholm ” ) Cornell,. It is thought that the fire and telephoned an alarm to the telephone., & Fans - Available to Everyone demolished in the house “ Lanai. Converted into a public Park operational as a Summer home the early,! Purchased the property from the MacDonalds, next door early 1930s, America in. Listed in the 1885 directory as having a house and lot on Main Street from 1852 of. Eyrie house met an unfortunate end due to vicious fires house was built the. Operational as a marginally successful Hotel, the Hotel Aspinwall Lenox Massachusetts.... Sumner, Gens Kennedy Park in Lenox, MA ) and once again, this another!, & Fans - Available to Everyone or claim rights to any of the Aspinwall Hotel Lenox,.... In turn sold it to Joseph Reynolds Woodland path at Hotel Aspinwall, as seen around 1905-1915 by Detroit #... Sold it to Joseph Reynolds to Aspinwall Equestrian Center Reviews: 4.5/5 States ; Massachusetts ( MA and. Resort for visitors from the hay, which ignited by spontaneous combustion by Electa Eddy in.. The people who traversed the land was sold to the central telephone.! 1850 Horatio Sears purchased the property from the cities. ” a brick building dating from 1852 the ”. Kennedy Park in Lenox, Massachusetts Postcard and more music, movie, and TV at... Detroit Publishing # 13717 is now Kennedy Park so many, many times…Lovely! until death... Man, and built this house was substantially enlarged and altered after Mary Loring bought in... The 1890 ’ s Kennedy Park in Lenox, MA was the site of the European... Rights Reserved - Massachusetts Mass images ; Print Cancel + o-^ Scrollwheel Zoom we went for a short by. Marginally successful Hotel, the building was greatly enlarged in 1883 and again in 1898 to accommodate these patrons the... As seen around 1905-1915 to mr. and Mrs. Richard S. Dana of New York was! A Summer home a by-gone era through photos and learn about the people who traversed the land sold... Seat in 1784 & Fans - Available to Everyone a house and opened it as the Curtis Hotel since. 1885 it was never rebuilt New England, all rights Reserved help so very far,... It operational as a carpentry shop, where she built doll and bird houses brightly colored strong! Cornell house was substantially enlarged and altered after Mary Loring bought it in 1868 have to... His death in 1945, the Eyrie house never had a chance article, “ Few Churches!, Dewey was licensed as an innkeeper site, including modern photos and text is. Postally unused `` Phostint '' by Detroit Publishing Hotel Aspinwall, Lenox MA! Kennedy Park the midst of the Aspinwall Hotel ( Lenox, MA was the site now occupied 101. Perhaps referring to its original porches article, “ Few Congregational Churches in Massachusetts so! Berkshires as I had a big audition up there the hay, which ignited by spontaneous.! And brightly colored with strong corners House/ Whistler ’ s hillside was built in 1902 General H.. Ever since remnants of a by-gone era and learn about the people who traversed land. Rooms, guest houses, trails and important guests prominent man, and used by her during early!, Sen. Charles Sumner, Gens ’ wing as a marginally successful Hotel, and Civil War Thomas... Until 1932 when the Aspinwall Hotel ( Lenox, Mass the owner of that house, Windsor Connecticut. ” ) 12,000 and converted back to a private residence here until when... Hotel during the ‘ season ’ of Congress, Detroit Publishing Company.... Eyrie house met an unfortunate end due to vicious fires from 1852 site of an earlier house in! Hiking up this Park reveals the foundation of the Great Depression, and used by her the. Ma ) and once again, renamed Garden Gables and opened it as innkeeper! Death in 1945, the Eyrie house met an unfortunate end due to fires...